Island Fantasies recipe!
A lot of the details in Island Fantasies come straight from my own experiences on Maupiti, the South Pacific island where this travel romance takes place. Just like Kyle and Hannah, I got to snorkel with manta rays, hike the island’s central peak, and sample some fantastic Polynesian fare. Other than reading the book, the best way to transport yourself into the idyllic tropical setting might be to try this recipe for marinated fish served with coconut milk - it’s delicious and easy to prepare!
Locally, it’s called Poisson Cru Tahitienne - raw tuna, Tahitian style!
- This recipe feeds 4.
- 1 pound of fresh raw tuna steak (sushi quality)
- ¾ cup fresh lime or lemon juice (a mix works well, too)
- 2 large tomatoes, cubed
- 3 stalks of scallion, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped into thin slices
- 1 shredded carrot
1 cup coconut milk (canned is fine)
First, cut the tuna into small (half-inch) chunks and soak them is a bowl of salted water to tenderize the meat.
- While the fish soaks, chop the vegetables and out them in a large salad bowl.
- Drain the salt water from the tuna and let the meat marinade in the lemon/lime juice for 3-5 minutes.
- Drain about half that lemon/lime juice into a separate bowl and add the fish and remaining juice to the salad bowl. The remaining lemon juice can be added individually after the dish is served).
- Toss the vegetables with the fish and pour the coconut milk over the salad (if the canned coconut milk is thick, lightly heat the can in a bowl of water on the stove top to make it more liquid).
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with slices of fresh French bread. Enjoy!